Our schedule as roadies is pretty busy. We work the 9-5 shift Monday through Friday and have training sessions from 6-8pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This past Tuesday we watched a documentary called Wardance. The story centered around this school in northern Uganda called Patongo. More specifically the school is apart of the Acholi tribe. This tribe is the main people group affected by the civil war. This particular school is enrolled in the Ugandan primary school's music and dance competition. These kids all live in displacement camps but their passion for the arts cannot be suppressed. The movie's tagline is, "The war stole everything, except their music." You guys have to see this movie. It reminded me of the movie Murderball if you've ever seen that. I think it's only in select indie theaters but you never know where it might be playing.
This film broke my heart. Several scenes just crush you. There is a hopeful and redeeming end but the reality of their living situation and this endless war cannot be ignored. After the movie ended I just had to be alone and attempt to process this reminder of the way the world is. Just a brief look at the history books will tell you how slowly things change. We live in a culture where we long for the quick fix and the easy remedy. And I think that idea has been such a temptation to accept. And if I believe that fallacy then I immediately become angry with God. Very angry. How could he let this happen? How can the world be so drastically unfair? I often wonder how I would feel if I was born in northern Uganda, possibly without parents and living in a displacement camp while fighting to survive every day. And wondering if this war will ever end as I feel hope slipping through my fingers. It's just so easy to forget. It's so easy to focus on our own problems. You could realistically go your entire life not giving a damn about anyone else. And you would be culturally acceptable. And that depresses me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment